Jay J. Stein, MD, FACS -  - Urologist

Jay J. Stein, MD, FACS

Urologist located in Beverly Grove, Los Angeles, CA

Vasectomy Reversal Specialist

As a leading urologist in Beverly Grove and the Greater Los Angeles, CA, areas, Dr. Stein offers patients significant expertise in vasectomy reversal to help couples conceive even following a vasectomy.
    1. "Kind, patient, smart, and personable. I highly recommend him!"

    2. Adam S. Yelp


Vasectomy reversal Q & A

by Jay J. Stein, MD, FACS

Dr. Stein has been using the operating microscope for vasectomy reversals for 40 years and he has had incredible results with pregnancies.

What is a vasectomy reversal?

A vasectomy reversal (also known as a Vasovasostomy) is an outpatient procedure that is performed to “undo” the effects of a vasectomy. During the vasectomy, the ends of the tubes (vas deferens) that transport the sperm to the urethra are closed off to prevent sperm from exiting the body and potentially causing pregnancy. A vasectomy is typically considered a permanent form of birth control but in many cases, it can be successfully reversed.

How is it performed?

Vasectomy reversal is usually performed using general anesthesia or a spinal block and the use of an operating microscope. During the procedure itself, a small incision is made over the vas deferens and the ends are reconnected using the operating microscope and sutures the size of one’s hair. Some men may require an additional procedure called a vasoepididymostomy, where there is a blockage between the epididymis and the vas deferens.  The procedure takes about two hours to complete.

What is recovery like?

After spending some time in recovery and after anesthesia, one will be able to go home. You may have some initial pain that can be managed with over-the-counter or prescription pain medication. You’ll need to avoid certain activities such as sex and heavy lifting during the initial phase of healing. In most cases, one will be able to resume normal activity including returning to the office within several days. One should not have any more discomfort after a vasovasostomy than one had after the simple vasectomy. 

How effective is the vasectomy reversal?

This depends on the length of time between the vasectomy and the reversal. In a study of 1500 men at various institutions, having the reversal and by not using any assisted means to conceive, the success rate after less than 3 years is a 98% chance for sperm in the ejaculate, which is a 77% chance for normal pregnancy. 3-8 years after a vasectomy is an 88% chance of sperm, which is a 55% chance for pregnancy. After 9-14 years, an 80% chance of sperm in the ejaculate, meaning a 46% chance of pregnancy. Over 15 years is a 70% chance of sperm and 30% chance of pregnancy. These statistics are for natural conception. Dr. Stein has had successful reversals after 20 plus years after the vasectomy. He does not remember any patient that has had the reversal in less than 5-7 years to be unsuccessful concerning sperm in the ejaculate. If the sperm count and motility are then low, assisted reproductive measure may be utilized. 

Major Insurance Plans Accepted

We accept most PPO insurance plans, private insurance and Medicare. We participate in Cedar Sinai's Medical Group. If you have any questions, please contact our office. 

Aetna
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Anthem Blue Cross of California
Assurant Health
Blue Cross
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Cigna
Director's Guild (DGA)
Great West Life
Health Net
Motion Picture Industry Health Plan
PacifiCare
Screen Actors Guild
Tricare
UnitedHealthcare
USAA
Testimonials

Words from our patients

  • Google+

    "Dr. Stein is simply the best. Caring, thorough, patient, professional and the most knowledgable urologist I have ever met, and I have met far too many."

    Robert F.
  • Yelp

    "Someone you can really trust and have faith in. Kind, patient, smart, personable. I highly recommend him!"

    Adam S.
  • Yelp

    "He is the best urologist I've visited in the last 8 years, I think that pretty much says everything."

    Xavier A.
Location
Jay Stein, MD, FACS
8635 West Third Street, Suite 460W
Beverly Grove

Los Angeles, CA 90048
Phone: 310-819-9543
Fax: 310-652-0334
Office Hours

Get in touch

310-819-9543